You must be a member to post on the forums!
Rate:
Rated
Author Rating: 0 Topic: Duck Confit and Morel Mushroom Ravioli Filling Recipe (Read 0 times)
Jackie

« Reply #0: Mar 21, 2013, 7:08 AM »
Rating: 0
Rate:
Rated

Duck Confit and Morel Mushroom Ravioli Filling Recipe

Duck Confit and Morel Mushroom Ravioli Filling Recipe Recipe

I went through my pantry and freezer and thought it was time to do a little spring cleaning. I decided to make ravioli and filled them with the duck confit I had in the freezer, along with ricotta cheese, Pecorino cheese, cider, apples, morel mushrooms and tarragon. 

I ended up making two large batches of the homemade pasta: one vegetarian and one with the shredded duck inside. My preference leans toward the meat version, but my husband Lulu who's a vegetarian enjoyed the other version as much as I did!

Ingredients

Yields: 6 servings

½ cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup semolina flour
1 whole egg, at room temperature
½ teaspoon granulated sugar
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup olive oil
1½ teaspoons fresh tarragon, chopped
¼ teaspoon black pepper, freshly cracked
¼ ounce dried morel mushrooms
1 duck leg confit (optional if vegetarian), shredded
½ Red Delicious apple, diced
¾ cup apple cider
6 ounces ricotta cheese, at room temperature
2 tablespoons Pecorino cheese, grated
½ yellow onion, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons salted butter

Directions

Prepping the dried morel mushrooms: Put the dried mushrooms in a small bowl and pour a scant cup of room temperature water over them. Soak until softened for at least 3 hours. Remove the mushrooms, straining the soaking liquid through a fine-mesh and setting the liquid aside. Rinse the mushrooms in several water baths and finely chop. Set aside.

Dried Morel Mushrooms Recipe with Picture
Dried morel mushrooms.

How to make the pasta sheets:

In a mixing bowl, lightly beat the egg with sugar.

In a large mixing bowl, add 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour, semolina flour and ¼ teaspoon salt. Form a well and place the egg mixture into the indentation. Form a dough ball and knead the dough until combined. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil. Cover with a damp towel, place the bowl in a warm spot and let rest for about 1 hour. 

The dough should be neither too sticky nor too dry.  Dust a flat work space (or a board) with a generous amount of all-purpose flour. Roll out the dough ball with a rolling pin, then pass through a pasta roller machine, using the thickest setting. Dust the pasta sheet with a little flour on both sides to prevent it from sticking to the machine. Repeat 2-3 times. For the last time through, use setting "5" of the KitchenAid flat roller pasta attachment. Cut into about 2¾" squares. Using the remaining dough, roll back into the pasta roller and form more squares.

Cover with a damp kitchen towel while preparing the ravioli filling.

For the ravioli filling: 

In a non-stick pot, heat 2 tablespoons oil. Add the onions and cook for 5 minutes until softened and lightly golden. Add the apples, morel mushrooms, tarragon and the shredded duck (if using). Pour in ¾ cup cider and the reserved mushroom liquid, bring to a boil and cook until the liquid evaporates. Transfer to a mixing bowl.

In the same mixing bowl, add the ricotta cheese and Pecorino cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Mix until well incorporated. 

Forming the ravioli: Place a wrapper on the work surface. Place a small mound of mushroom ricotta filling (about 2 teaspoons) in the middle of the ravioli. Dip your finger in a small bowl of water and moisten around the edge of the ravioli wrapper. Cover with another wrapper. Seal by pressing firmly using a 2½-inch rectangle ravioli stamp (or you could form them with a ravioli maker). Chill in the refrigerator (up to 3-4 days) if preparing in advance.

Boiling the ravioli: Fill a large stockpot with water and bring to a boil. As soon as the pasta is cooked (floats to the surface but is still in shape and firm), salt the water, lower the heat and immediately drain and transfer to a serving platter. 

Assembly time:

In a small saucepan, melt the butter and cook until it starts to brown. Drizzle the butter over the pasta. Sprinkle with salt and more Pecorino cheese. 

Serve immediately.

Bon appétit!

Tips

This recipe yields exactly 24 ravioli.

If you're a pasta lover, check out my other pasta dishes.

Published By: Jacqueline Pham on March 21, 2013.

Order my latest book:
Banh Mi

Related Posts

Rate:
Rated