You must be a member to post on the forums!
Rate:
Rated
Author Rating: 0 Topic: Barack Obama's January 20th Presidential Inauguration Celebration Menu - inspired by Abraham Lincoln (Read 458 times)
Jackie

Regardless of your political persuasion, today is a historic day.  President-Elect Obama will be sworn in as the 44th President of the United States.  For the Inaugural meal, the "Joint Congressional Committee on Inaugural Ceremonies" chose Abraham Lincoln's favorite foods. 

This is the first US Presidential Inauguration that I have experienced since moving to the United States from France, and I wanted to do something to mark the occasion.  I thought it would be fun to make these dishes that have nourished two US Presidents.  Since Lincoln was a Republican and Obama is a Democrat, I guess you could call it a bi-partisan feast!  If you're in a patriotic mood, you can make my versions of the Inaugural menu at your home.

Here's the Official Menu (click on the links below for each full recipe):

• First Course: Seafood Stew, paired with a Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc.

I hope you like these recipes as much as I enjoyed making them.  I'll be posting a new recipe everyday, and I look forward to hearing your questions, comments and tips.

Bon Appétit!

Jackie

Guest-Celia

« Reply #1: Jan 20, 2009, 5:01 PM »
Rating: 0
Rate:
Rated

This is just awesome. It must have been a bunch of work, but it is a really nice way to mark the occasion.

The cake looks fabulous
Guest-theran

« Reply #2: Jan 20, 2009, 5:07 PM »
Rate:
Rated

The recipes are surprisingly rustic for a state affair. Nice!
Guest-oscarsmom

« Reply #3: Jan 20, 2009, 5:10 PM »
Rate:
Rated

Somehow focusing on the food, etc. makes it all seem more real.
Guest-theran

« Reply #4: Jan 20, 2009, 5:24 PM »
Rate:
Rated

For the first time in nearly a decade, the country has a reason to feel optimistic that something will be accomplished. Even getting to this point is a kind of accomplishment.
Guest-Lesliet

« Reply #5: Jan 20, 2009, 5:32 PM »
Rate:
Rated

Your friends and family must be very happy to know you.

I have to mention though, that menu isn't exactly in the Michael Pollen mode. There seems to be a certain lack of vegetable items there.

That said, I'd happily consume that meal any day. Just looking at it is totally messing up my diet.
Jackie

« Reply #6: Jan 20, 2009, 5:39 PM »
Rate:
Rated

Yeah I've been reading the Omnivore's dilemma. It's fascinating.

Anyways, no need to diet. That's why God invented treadmills :0)
Guest-Seneca Doane

« Reply #7: Jan 20, 2009, 5:49 PM »
Rate:
Rated

Was there at the luncheon?
Guest-EcoLogic

« Reply #8: Jan 20, 2009, 6:07 PM »
Rate:
Rated

and the stew does look amazing.
Guest-BlueStranger

« Reply #9: Jan 20, 2009, 6:14 PM »
Rate:
Rated

Food as art not only nourishes the body but the mind as well. Thank you for the recipes.
Guest-Alheithinn

« Reply #10: Jan 20, 2009, 7:38 PM »
Rate:
Rated

Great site. Nice to have pictures of the food too, rather than simple descriptions or recipes.
Guest-BlackSheep1

« Reply #11: Jan 20, 2009, 9:49 PM »
Rate:
Rated

I really am curious, as I understand the past 8 years have been ... ahem ... somewhat circumscribed.

I look forward to more dishes (maybe an American lamb stew to come?) with this rustic charm!
Rate:
Rated