As I told you at the beginning of the week, I had the privilege to be one of the 18,000 foodies to wander around the 38th annual Winter Fancy Food Show that took place at Moscone Center in San Francisco. I met friends old and new, tasted delicious new products, and discovered cool new products. Here are the latest food trends I spotted:
- A lot less processed food, non-GMO ingredients, more natural products. Not surprising, really.
- Many new sweet treats in categories such as popcorn, caramels and chocolate.
- Lots of cheeses. I absolutely adored the yogurt cheese, which is by the way lactose-free.
- New naturally flavored waters. These will probably compete in the same category as coconut water.
- Lavash. There were several brands represented, with just as many different applications. I've worked with California Lavash many times before, and I love their products. I was so proud of how the new look of their booth turned out as I food-styled all the dishes, and the photos were my contribution to the new look of this delicious product.
Lilea from California Lavash being silly.
These are just a few of the things that struck me while at the show. I spoke to many of the exhibitors, and some of them will be sharing their passion and products with you in the coming weeks. How fun!
One of the most interesting things I notice this year was the absence of marketing around organic products. The focus instead was on less-processed, more nutritious foods. It's a natural progression I think; what does it matter whether the ingredients in a product started out organic if they are processed into oblivion?
Food manufacturers are catching on to this and coming up with innovative ways to produce more wholesome products. I'm especially excited to try some of the new virgin oils that caught my eye.